Monday, September 3, 2012

My Original "Big Five" (Characters, Part 2)

Back in the old days of the game, getting to level 20 or higher was quite an accomplishment.  By the time I'd played for a year and a half, I'd only managed to do it on nine characters.  Six of those were my original toons on Pinnacle, the ones I considered my most important/main characters:  Jalia, my fire/axe tank and my first level 50; Organica, who I got to 37; Shinobu, who was a fire/kin flavor of the month 2-3 years before it really was a FotM (by accident, I had no idea of the synergy of the set); Mouse Police, a dark melee/invul scrapper; and Jalia Ice, an ice/ice blaster with a name I truly did not like.

I've already listed Organica, who eventually made it to 50.  She was my first character ever.  But before I got her to 50, I was enthralled by what fire tankers could do with burn.  I was also enchanted by seeing an axe tanker toss his axe from hand to hand when he taunted.  And so, Jalia was born.



I actually have a picture of her in the tutorial.  She didn't look like this for long, but she was always very short.  And the problem with a fire tanker that was short was it concentrated all of the fire effects, and what you usually saw of her was this:



I made it to 50 on Jalia before burn got nerfed.  That hurt me a lot.  I understood that burn did too much damage, but the solution to something like that is to make it do less damage, not make it completely useless.   Which it was until they fixed it again years later.

When I moved to Virtue I paid to transfer Jalia over, but I had to come up with a new name, so I chose "Jalia Dragonfire" which I really came to dislike.  Later when they offered free transfers I moved her to Freedom, renaming her "Black Unicorn".  She's been there ever since, one of my only 50's I've never IO'd properly.  I had thought to turn her into a decent farmer but never got around to doing it.  She still has her original SO/Hami-O build.


Shinobu was another character I started up after seeing a SG buddy of mine with a very powerful fire control/radiation controller.  I went with fire control/kinetics, largely because I had seen someone propel a hellion all over Atlas Park and I wanted to be able to do that.  I had no idea that fire/kins would be the FotM for many years to come.


The initial Shinobu was a Lum clone.  A friend of mine had a Lum clone with the name Lum.  Since that was taken (and since I was a bit wary of being generic'd) I used the name Shinobu for my character, who happens to be Ataru's girlfriend when Lum shows up in Ursei Yatsura.

Later I changed her looks -- again and again, just as I did with Jalia.  I had trouble settling on a look that I liked for those two characters.

Shinobu somehow became my global name, which I've kept ever since.  Shinobu was also my main Winter Lord baby -- I took her from about 12 to about 29 or 30 on Winter Lords in just a few days.  I don't regret a thing either!

When I moved to Virtue, I transferred Shinobu over, and had to change the name.  I went with "Shinobu Dragonfire", but hated it.  A couple of years ago I went ahead and changed her name again, this time to Prisstina, which I was lucky to find available on Virtue.  This past spring I finally got Prisstina to 50.  :D


The fourth of my original six was Mouse Police, a name I borrowed from a Jethro Tull song, and which I liked enough that I went out and tried to claim that name on every server.  I wasn't able to do this on the Champion server, however.  Anyway, Mouse Police began life as an Invulnerable/Energy Melee tank, but I was not enchanted with the kind of damage a tank did, so at level 19 I deleted her and remade her as a dark melee/invulnerable scrapper.  I played her on Pinnacle to 29.

I did eventually get Mouse Police on Virtue to 50, and Mouse Police on Victory to 50, and I got a Mouse Police on Infinity up to about 24.  But the original Mouse Police sat languishing on Pinnacle until I finally transferred her to Justice, where I eventually got her to 45:



For a while Mouse Police was in a catgirl super group.  I have a lot of pictures like this of her fighting or dancing with other catgirls.


Next we have an ice/ice blaster named Jalia Ice.  This is yet another character that I hated the name and keep changing her look.  I liked ice blast, however, and got her up to 27, and eventually transferred her to Freedom where she became the Mouse Police of that server.  And I managed to get her to 42.


My other three 20+ toons were an empathy/psi defender on Virtue named Jalia Genie, who I never managed to level past 25.  She's currently known as Empathy Girl Five on Virtue.  I had two toons on Guardian who were part of the catgirl SG there, and ice/ice tanker and a warshade.  I don't remember the original names of either.  The warshade wound up being transferred to Victory and renamed Mirror Moon, but she's still 24.  The ice/ice tank wound up on Exalted as Bell.  I really wanted to play her up higher, but it never worked out, she's still 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment