Wednesday, October 24, 2012

90 Days to the Apocalypse -- Day 54


It's amazingly quiet in City of Heroes these days.  Virtue is still the most populated server -- and especially in the later evening -- but when I log in around 4 PM PST, there's virtually no chatter in any of my global channels and only scattered chatter in LFG (which I still tend to not follow).  Yessterday Cally logged on for a bit then logged off saying it was too dead.  Tonight Mr. Trilby was on, said hi, and logged off a bit later, and Freaky logged in to say hi, then disappeared.

Others are doing the kind of things I was doing in the early evening -- soloing, in my case redside Ouro arcs for badges.  I ran Mouse Police through the 2nd and 3rd arcs of Dr. Graves -- The Heart of Darkness, Heroic Measures earning me the Blackened Soul badge, and The Heart of Darkness, The Price of Victory, earning me the Face of Evil badge.  These are the counterparts to the hero-side Twinshot arcs, which I also haven't run on Mouse Police yet.

Let me say two things:  first, the 2nd arc is  phenomenally annoying.  You run between  Mercy Island, Port Oakes, and Cap Au Diable constantly, and because you're at level 14 max my travel powers were limited, and Mercy and Cap are not very friendly to people who can't fly.  I got very, very tired of this arc, and I'm glad that I'll never run it again.

Second, the third arc is pathetic.  Let me tell you why:  You're a villain, you've made a lot of enemies.  You set out to kill Zephyr, but you don't.  You then go to kill Omnicore, but you don't.  Then you're off to kill Crosscut, but you don't.  Then you recruit all of them to kill Dr. Graves, but you don't.  Then you work with Dr. Graves and the rest to take out Dollface, but you don't finish this either.

And then you're awarded the "Face of Evil" badge.  For what?  Failing to kill anyone?  I wanted to kill them all, but noooo, we can't let a despicable villain actually kill any rivals.  That would be bad.

So I declare this so-called arc of evil "wimpy".  Gimme one or two enemies that I'm actually allowed to plant in the ground for good, that's all I ask.  Why would I let people who've sworn to kill me live?

Anyway, I only earned the two badges tonight but it was a lot of work to get them.  Now I've run these arcs, I don't intend to ever run them again.  I wasn't really thrilled with the Twinshot stories but I like them better than the villain ones.

At least Dollface's mansion is cool, if surprisingly similar to Manticore's.

A bit later Rageycat started up an ITF, and I joined on Saturn Princess.  They decided to set it to +1 which... I swear, every single time someone wants to run an ITF on +1 or higher and you don't have a team loaded with 50's, it's trouble come the final Rommy fight.  We beat on him for a good 15-20 minutes to get him dead the first time.  The whole TF took over an hour, and don't get me wrong, we had a very good team, and I was happy to get 2 levels on Saturn Princess, she's 44.5 now, but one thing I will not miss is people thinking we can run our ITF at + whatever with 7 of 8 characters at less than 50, and then being surprised when the final fight is so tough.

Vortron (if I remember the name correctly) has been video/demo recording as much of the game as he possibly can these past few weeks, so while we were on our ITF he formed a Cavern of Transcendence Trial.  I also saw someone trying to form a BAF at the same time... so as I said, later in the evening there are things happening on Virtue, just not so much earlier in the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment