Sunday, September 2, 2012

Characters, part 1



This is the first character I ever made in City of Heroes.  I don't remember the name -- I was just playing around with the character creator, and deleted the character within a few days.


And this is my first "real" City of Heroes character, a katana scrapper named Organica.  She began as a katana/dark armor scrapper, then at level 17 I got sick of dark armor (it was an endurance hog in the old days, especially before Stamina and before IOs existed).  I deleted and rebuilt her as a katana/regen scrapper, and this turned out to be a great move because back in the day regen scrappers were nearly invincible.

I created her on Pinnacle, the server I used to play on.  When I came back to the game I started playing on Virtue, and at the time the name Organica was taken there.  Later on I discovered that the name had been freed up, and I was able to transfer a level 37 Organica over to Virtue, where I eventually got her to level 50.


This is Organica currently.  The bio is the same one I came up with way back in 2004.  One of the things I want to do over the next 90 days is take pictures of every one of my characters with whatever bio they have -- and if they don't have one, I'm going to add something.



There are some people in the game that have logged 2,000 or 5,000 or even 6,000 hours on one character.  I've always been too much of an altoholic to manage anything like that -- but I have about 2,000 hours between Mouse Police and Sparks Fly, my most-played characters on my first and second accounts.


I'm going to be posting a lot of these bio pictures, for my own benefit if nothing else.  I think some of the bios are quite fun to read.  ^_^  Mouse Police was the character I played when I came back to the game.  The original Mouse Police was one of my original four or five characters on Pinnacle, but at some point I made a Mouse Police on every server except Champion, where someone else had claimed the name.  Each one was a different AT/powerset, and the one on Virtue just happened to be katana/regen like Organica.  I played her up to 50 -- my 2nd 50 in the game ever -- and spent years working on her build and working on badges.  She's got over 1,000 badges, my only toon with that many.

I haven't played this character much in the last few years though.


This is Sparks Fly, probably my all-time favorite character.  I specifically designed her to be an electric melee/shield defense scrapper because it was a "flavor of the month" build and known to be very powerful.  I built her when I joined Hero Force originally, she was my "Hero Force" toon.  Eventually I wound up as one of the leaders of Hero Force, and then one of the people who stuck around when everyone else went away. I wasn't a great leader but I was there when the other leaders weren't.

I rebuilt Sparks Fly about two or three years ago using a "very expensive" build posted by Fury Flechette. I loved playing this character -- softcapped defense, tons of recharge, could wade into piles of enemies and do massive damage.  This was my best farming toon, I never built a fire/fire farmer, but I really didn't need one.  Unlike some people I loved playing a character that was as powerful as possible, it didn't bore me at all.  I'll probably never play another MMO where you can dress like a school girl and fight off hundreds of nazis single-handedly.  The character was very powerful, and truly made me feel heroic and epic.

I learned a lot from Fury's build too, and went on to craft amazing builds for a bunch of my other characters. My last couple of years in the game were the most fun -- I was able to make as much money as I wanted and outfit all of my characters however I liked.  I built a fire/shield scrapper along the same lines as Sparks Fly, then a street justice/shield brute.  I built Invul scrappers and brutes with softcapped defense, I built Willpower scrappers and brutes with softcapped defense, I had untouchable widows and a ninjitsu stalker with massive defense and massive global recharge.  I had whatever I wanted, and I had a lot of fun.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment