Sunday, December 9, 2012

Zero to Awesome final comments (reposted from Aug/Sept 2011)



JakHammer
Just read the whole thread. Thanks for a solid lesson. I pretty much always get something out of your posts.

Two thoughts to add.

1) Some have called you to task for the auction house vet power. With the amount of inf moving around in this project anyone can have a partial substitute (not good for in between missions) for trivial amounts of inf. I refer to the 10,000 inf for a one time use Market Teleport powers. Just remember to buy a new one every time you use it before you leave whichever Market you are at. I find it saves me a lot of time when I market, and it is useful during certain missions too.

2) I have been exploring the world of farming Tanks and Brutes for a couple of months. With NO knockback protection in Fiery Aura deciding on how many IO's to use was big. I settled on 1 for level 4 protection. On toons with high defense (example - FA Tank with +def power pools and IO build) a lot of the KB attacks will miss, and most of the rest will be stopped by level 4. If you know you will be, or find in mission that you are, facing a more serious knockback challenge - then base empowerment stations can give you a buff for 1 hour of addition +10 for a total of Lvl 14. Empowerment buffs will persist for the full hour even if you are defeated. I use them a lot when leveling, esp. +recharge and +recovery. I was warned that mere level 4 KB would be really bad in I trials but I found it perfectly acceptable even without the empowerment buff.

On toons with out significant defense, and/or without hover to minimize the effect, you may want more.

Jak

---

plainguy
I was going to try this, got to level 13 solo and on teams. Then got an invite to a farm for prestige and got to level 31. Well there goes that idea. But I did try your invention idea and see how it works out. If it doesn't of course I will blame you.

---

scott2hot006
Been following your thread for the past month. I enjoy these reads! My only question is how now that you have hit the 30 day mark, what is the total amount of time you spent on that character?

---

Organica (me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2hot006
Been following your thread for the past month.  I enjoy these reads!  My only question is how now that you have hit the 30 day mark, what is the total amount of time you spent on that character?

I guess I should go find a citizen to tell me.  ^_^  I'd guess somewhere between 2-4 hours a day... maybe just under 100 hours?



Aaaaaaand... survey says:  115 hours.

---

Sivasiri
I just wanted to post a sincere thank you, partly because I really appreciate the thread, and partly to spite the comments about 'you're not starting with nothing, you have years of experience and no new people will care!'

I just picked up the game on Aug 21 during the 2 dollar sale on a whim and the advice of a friend who said we should try it with Freedom around the corner - and now a little over two weeks later, with the information gleaned from the thread and others like it, I'm now within ~100m of my first billion influence.

Experience is invaluable, but without people like you sharing it, some things might be a lot more irritating than they are.

(Also I'd have nothing to make my friends go 'where the hell did you get all that cash what are you doing are you a wizard', which is also pretty invaluable.)

---

Eric Nelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasiri
I just wanted to post a sincere thank you, partly because I really appreciate the thread, and partly to spite the comments about 'you're not starting with nothing, you have years of experience and no new people will care!'
I just picked up the game on Aug 21 during the 2 dollar sale on a whim and the advice of a friend who said we should try it with Freedom around the corner - and now a little over two weeks later, with the information gleaned from the thread and others like it, I'm now within ~100m of my first billion influence.
Experience is invaluable, but without people like you sharing it, some things might be a lot more irritating than they are.
(Also I'd have nothing to make my friends go 'where the hell did you get all that cash what are you doing are you a wizard', which is also pretty invaluable.)

Well said! Nice 1st post!  :)

---

Nihilii
Going to second that, that's an impressive first post and game start. Two weeks after I first joined, I think I was still trying to navigate the Hollows and had maybe 100k inf to my name.  :)

---

Organica (me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasiri
I just wanted to post a sincere thank you, partly because I really appreciate the thread, and partly to spite the comments about 'you're not starting with nothing, you have years of experience and no new people will care!'
I just picked up the game on Aug 21 during the 2 dollar sale on a whim and the advice of a friend who said we should try it with Freedom around the corner - and now a little over two weeks later, with the information gleaned from the thread and others like it, I'm now within ~100m of my first billion influence.
Experience is invaluable, but without people like you sharing it, some things might be a lot more irritating than they are.
(Also I'd have nothing to make my friends go 'where the hell did you get all that cash what are you doing are you a wizard', which is also pretty invaluable.)

That's very cool!  I'm glad I was able to help in some way.

---

eryq2
Yup, play 4 hours a day and you, too, can has awesome lootz.

---

Sivasiri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryq2
Yup, play 4 hours a day and you, too, can has awesome lootz.

While I won't dispute the fact that I'm on the internet more than I should be, the market just doesn't move quickly enough and the number of auction slots is just too small to realistically spend 4 hours a day on it. 20-30 minutes at the start and end of whatever playtime I had, and that's assuming my bids for materials came through while I was doing something else.

I mean, I guess I could roll a bunch of alts? But I've been doing it primarily on Sivasiri because I forget what I'm doing on which character and then I'm overriding my own bids and it's just a huge mess. I don't really need the added income.

---

Netphenix5
Just a bit of necro-posting to say "thank you!" Two years I've been playing and I never really understood the secrets of getting rich of the market, but you definitely helped my latest character a LOT. Didn't get the two purples, but half a billion in two weeks is way better than anything I managed before - especially on my server.

So again, thanks for this very detailled, useful and entertaining read.  :)

---

Organica (me)

That's very cool.  ^_^

As a sort of update, I started a Street Justice / Shield brute back in... when did that set come out?  September?  I designed the very most expensive build I could... four damage purple sets, a Panacea set, five LotG +7.5% rech, Glad Armor 3% Def, Miracle and Numina uniques, multiple billions required.  I hit 50 on my character in early November, and as of this last week I managed to purchase the Panacea unqiue and finish off my build.  ^_^  And I'm actually working on more modest builds for my just-hit-50-last-night claws/willpower brute, and also for a dark/dark brute who's currently level 44.  I can always find ways to spend money, so I have to keep making more.  ^_^

I've actually put together several very expensive builds like that in the last year -- nearly identical builds for my electric melee/shield scrapper in February and for a fire/shield scrapper in about June.  The point is, I can still remember when the most popular rare IOs were out of my price range, let alone purples/pvp IOs/uniques.  100 million influence was a fortune to me then.  ^_^  So I really think anyone can do this, if they want to.

---

Erratic
As someone returned to CoH after 6 years, dabbling in the Invention system, and wondering how the world to make money, thank you for the guide.

---

Hazian
I get a toon to 50, purp it out, get all its accolade powers and get all T4 incarnates in 30 days.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment