Sunday, December 9, 2012

Zero to Awesome Day 23 and comments (reposted from Aug 24 2011)



The_Laughing_Man
An interesting and absorbing read. Thanks for taking the time to post, and grats on your 50!

I have been stuck in "bad" niches before, with my optimistic high priced stuff not shifting, so I routinely sell stuff 20-40% below the "last 5" rather than gambling on the price going up again. A lot of this is due to my DB/Elec Brute splatting through CEBR and picking up random recipes. I have no clue whether (lots of) random recipes > (not many) cherry picked niche recipes, but ultimately there's no difference (to me) between "more money than you'll ever need" and "lots more money than you'll ever need".

Hopefully this will help others.

-H

---

Eric Nelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organica
Day 22  It's not the first time I've gotten two purple drops in one day, but certainly the first time I got two such very nice drops at practically the same time, and with so little effort.
Wow, congrats on that (and the 50, of course), Organica!

---

Felderburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organica
It's just as easy to say I'm cheating because I play more hours a week than the average player.
I'd be curious to see some numbers. How many hours did it take to get to 50? And how much do you play a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zortel
Been nice reading this, I don't generally play the market, but some interesting tips to utilize!
I agree! I've worked up to 200 million now, mostly through rare recipes drops, and the occasional "buy low sell high" on stuff like that, but I haven't yet gone in depth playing around with the market. If I ever get the time to do so, this thread will have interesting things for me.

---

Day 23


Here you see just about everything you need to know about how my day went.

1.  Converted 50 merits and bought my second Luck of the Gambler +7.5% recharge.

2.  Crafted and listed my two purple IOs.  The Armageddon sold instantly for 535 million.  I probably could have listed higher then, but I'm not going to complain about that.  ^_^  I did list them both fairly high -- you pretty much can not go wrong listing purple IOs at the high end of the sell range, someone will pay that price soon enough.

3.  I have 18 IOs for sale (17 in the picture) and NOTHING sold overnight or all day.  I pulled down a bunch of the Eradication damage IOs that I had ALREADY pulled down and relisted at a "more reasonable" price.  I think I just need to hand them out on the street corner or something.

The other things I have listed -- Eradication dam/rech, acc/rech, and Gift of the Ancient defense -- are selling for much higher than my list price, so it's probably only a matter of time before the ones listed even lower than mine sell out, and mine will sell.  I think.  Maybe.

(I crafted and listed a couple more random drops -- Doctored Wounds recharge (instant sale for something over 5 million) and a Scirocco's Dervish dam/rech I think.  And a Cleaving Blow, not sure why I crafted that one.)

I purchased my Ragnarok proc, crafted and slotted it.  It was more than I remember them going for but not so bad -- $75 million, buy it NAO price.

I check out Enzymes.  They are going for twice as much as a month ago.  I bought several of these in the Spring for 300 million, and a whole bunch in June and July for 350 million.  I have at least 5 in my base that I bought at that price.  But that doesn't help AE Baby, and they're currently selling for 500 to 700 million.  Bleah!  I need four of them too.

I ran 5 tip missions and burned down Croatoa again.  50 extra merits since it's my first time since coming back from rogue status.  First time on this character at all I think.

No purple drops during my tip missions.  Darn!  No shards either.  :(  I've only earned 3 shards since opening up my alpha slot, and I have Judgment and Interface slotted already.

Did not run any trail today.  Instead I did a Manticore with Shinobu Eden, got to 46, and then bought a Glad Armor 3% def IO from someone on the Market channel.  Put that in my base.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I had the money and he wanted to sell, and I like having an extra of those lying about just in case.  ^_^  My last one I used on Shinobu Eden, to try and push her smashing/lethal and energy/neg energy defense up to near-trial levels.

---


Canine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organica
No purple drops during my tip missions. Darn! No shards either.   I've only earned 3 shards since opening up my alpha slot, and I have Judgment and Interface slotted already.
You may well already know this, but I may as well check.

Are you aware that you can make alpha boosts with Trial rewards? Scroll down in the recipe pane of the create tab of the incarnate window, and you'll see recipes using Biomorphic Goo's, Worn Spellbooks and so forth.

Unless of course, you're trying to be thematic and only make up your alpha boost with Shards and TF components, in which case, carry on

---

Fulmens
Looks like you're getting caught on the downside of the 2XP slope. "Well, they were 50M, now they're selling for 30M, lemme list for 29..." "Now they're 22 million, lemme list for 20..." "Now they're 20. CRAP!"

I've got a lot of bad bets from 2XP that are going through that process currently. At least I can tell myself I'm working on my "burning inf through market fees" project.

---

Organica (me)

Yeah, I'd rather use my itrial salvage for those slots, but we'll see.  ^_^

And yes I've noticed the slide Fulmens, but mostly on this one character.  On my normal marketers I leave things up for days or weeks, so I'm normally slow to notice slides like this and sometimes they don't affect me at all.  ^_^

One thing that did seem to rebound quite a bit for me were Decimations.  (Or Devastations -- whichever is the level 40 one.)  I'm not sure if prices on those are falling again, but I sold a bunch of one of the triples for 35 million each, that's much better than they had been selling.  :D

---

j_thug
I'm just coming back to the game from years off and wanted to say this..ordeal..occurrence.. experiment.. has been awesome to read and helped me understand much of a game I left before there were even IO's.

Looking forward to (hopefully) not having to worry about inf.

Been making me think about posting one of these for myself as I figure out the game.

Jt

---

Canine
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thug
Looking forward to (hopefully) not having to worry about inf.
Minor threadjack, but I'm of the opinion that it's easier to end up not worrying about inf if you start off not worrying about inf.

You can still make a very effective toon using nothing but SO's.

The inf required to do that is frankly miniscule in the scale of things. Level up a toon, sell your salvage and recipe drops on the market (especially midlevel commons/uncommons), and I'd expect you to have no trouble affording the enhancements required to make an effective SO'd toon.

If you then decide you have to have all the shinies, then that's a different matter, but don't start off thinking that you HAVE to have the shinies or you'll be 'gimped'. The only 'gimped' things in the game are Dominatrix's minions...

---

Canine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organica
Yeah, I'd rather use my itrial salvage for those slots, but we'll see. ^_^
Ah, OK.

Sorry if any offence was derived from the question, but I've seen a lot of 'veteran' players who were unaware that you could make alpha boosts from trial drops (and even more tankers who didn't know anything about Bruising), so I tend to ask first and feel stupid later on that subject  :)

---

j_thug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine

You can still make a very effective toon using nothing but SO's.

Good to know, thanks.

JT

---

Fulmens

To continue, I think of there being about three levels of IO'ing out:
1) Generics to replace SO's. Slightly to greatly more expensive, depending on how you plan ahead on your shopping; very similar results, only you'll never see a slot "go red" or lose efficiency with IO's.
2) Frankenslotting: grabbing a lot of cheap sets and using them like "mini-hami-os". Two set IOs can give you the rough equivalent of three SO's; I have a mini-guide in my sig if you want details.
3) "Real" set IO's- that is, IO's where you're slotting several of the same set in a given power, such that you get lots of set bonuses and [in some cases] dramatically improved performance. This can be expensive to unbelievably expensive [some builds cost literal billions] and there are potential traps, but you can get a LOT better performance if you do it right.
Feel free to ask questions, I love to see my own name up on the screen.


---

FourSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmens

To continue, I think of there being about three levels of IO'ing out:
1) Generics to replace SO's. Slightly to greatly more expensive, depending on how you plan ahead on your shopping; very similar results, only you'll never see a slot "go red" or lose efficiency with IO's.
2) Frankenslotting: grabbing a lot of cheap sets and using them like "mini-hami-os". Two set IOs can give you the rough equivalent of three SO's; I have a mini-guide in my sig if you want details.
3) "Real" set IO's- that is, IO's where you're slotting several of the same set in a given power, such that you get lots of set bonuses and [in some cases] dramatically improved performance. This can be expensive to unbelievably expensive [some builds cost literal billions] and there are potential traps, but you can get a LOT better performance if you do it right.
Feel free to ask questions, I love to see my own name up on the screen. 
To those I'd add:

#4) Purple & PvP sets - these will raise performance even higher with correspondingly
larger bonuses, but an even larger still price tag in most cases.


Regards,
4

---

Organica (me )

Yeah, and my build has only one relatively cheap purple but has those Hami-O Enzymes, which sell for similar prices.

Personally I start with generic IO's when leveling.  They're more expensive but you can keep the cost lower by crafting yourself and bidding overnight for the salvage, and they more than pay for themselves by not going red in the middle of a mission or TF.  And as others here have pointed out, if you need 3 heal IOs, buy the salvage to craft 6 and sell three of them.  Money recouped, and more!

---

Crystalline
Hey, Organica, I know I'm late with the congratulations (work is really cutting into my forum time), but Congrats on 50!

---

Organica (me)

Thanks.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment